About UN Women
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, in collaboration with the Government of Finland is implementing a four-year project titled ‘Strengthening women’s and girls’ meaningful participation, leadership, and economic rights, (WLER) at the local levels in Tanzania’ (2022 – 2025). The project has the overarching goal of ensuring ‘Women’s and girls’ meaningful participation, leadership and economic rights are strengthened at local levels in Tanzania’ aims to increase the number of women in leadership and decision making positions and their voices at the local government levels through promoting gender-responsive norms, behaviours and practices, strengthening capacities of women leaders, enhance collection and use of sex and disability responsive data and enhancing women’s economic rights including by piloting gender and disability transformative innovative measures such as care services, in line with the Government of Tanzania’s Generation Equality Commitments.
The project will enhance implementation of the United Republic of Tanzania’s commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) including the Generation Equality. It builds on the Women’s Leadership and Political Participation Project (Wanawake Wanaweza) Phase II (2017-2021) and Phase I (2014 – 2017) that identified discriminatory gender norms, behaviours and practices and lack of women’s economic opportunities as among the key barriers to women’s leadership at the local government levels. The project adopts a long-term action-based approach to advancing women’s leadership, meaningful participation, economic rights and, addressing the disproportionate share of unpaid care work by women and girls. The project will implement a multi-pillared approach with combination of strategies and approaches to ensure effective delivery of the programme objectives and outcomes. Inclusive, participatory, and community-oriented actions will be developed and implemented to transform gender norms and address social-economic challenges and barriers to women and girls’ leadership and access to resources.
Reporting to Programme Analyst, Women’s Leadership and Economic Rights, the Programme Associate works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Programme Administrative Assistant contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the RO and UN Women HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide advanced administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of WLER Project
- Provide advanced administrative support and inputs in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical guidance to the country offices and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Coordinate the collection of information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Contribute to the development or update of standard operating procedures, guidelines, checklists, templates and business processes in programme and project management;
- Review programme data from programmes/ projects for CO website;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
2. Provide advanced administrative support to the financial management of the WLER Project
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Monitor budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; prepare periodic reports; finalize FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system; post transactions in Atlas;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Prepare and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
3. Provide advanced administrative support to the WLER Project
- Oversee all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Oversee travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Liaise with high level officials on administrative issues;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations; contribute inputs to the materials;
4. Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Country Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Coordinate the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems;
- Quality background and presentation materials.