Position Title : Technical Support Officer (RCP on Migration)
Duty Station : Arusha, Tanzania, United Republic of
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 October 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and
inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.Context:
The East African Community (EAC) promotes co-operation and works with other regional and international organizations and development partners interested in the pursuit of the objectives of the Community. As such, the International Organization for Migration since 2006 beer collaborating and implementing joint programs and activities with towards the realization of the labour migration initiatives and commitments in the EAC. Accordingly, the revised EAC and Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 18th June 2021, the EAC and IOM provides for establishment and operationalization the Regional Consultative Processes (RCP) on Migration including the Regional Ministerial Forum on Migration on harmonizing Labour Migration Policies in the region in a United approach on Safe, Regular and Humane Labour Migration. Therefore, there is a need for technical support to the EAC Secretariat to facilitate the establishment, operationalization and monitoring of the RCP on Migration, and the EAC
Secretariat’s engagement in the Regional Ministerial Forum on Migration (RMFM). Under the overall supervision of the Head of Department of Labour Migration and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Labour Migration), the successful candidate will facilitate the establishment, operationalization and monitoring of the RCP on Migration, and engagement in the RMFM, and other areas of cooperation covered by the MoU.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Facilitate technical meetings of labour migration experts and other stakeholders and generate reports for consideration by the Ministerial Session for the RCP on Migration and the RMFM.
2. Liaise with Partner States’ ministries/agencies responsible for migration perspectives and migration needs, consult, and help build confidence in inter-State dialogue, gather information and disseminate the same, and assist in networking and enhancing collaborative approaches on migration issues.
3. Facilitate the development of a conducive environment that supports practical collaborative arrangements amongst relevant government institutions to assist in executing bilateral and regional cooperation on migration matters.
4. Provide technical inputs to support the harmonization and development of migration policies at national and regional level.
5. Provide technical guidance that promotes regional coherence in migration policy frameworks through the implementation of pilot regional migration initiatives and the collation and harmonization of migration data.
6. Assist in strengthening capacities of Partner States towards good migration governance and implementation of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) recommendations and other international migration obligations.
7. Coordinate collective resource mobilization efforts that promote and implement regional strategies and improve migration governance, including support to the operationalization of the revised MoU.
8. Maintain networks with relevant stakeholders including Partner States, UN Agencies, inter-governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, civil society, migrant communities such as diaspora etc. to discuss regional migration issues and participate in developing means to address them.
9. Contribute to the development of new projects in close cooperation with EAC Secretariat, IOM Country Office, IOM Regional Office, and Headquarters counterparts.
10. Draft work plans and budgets for new projects under the RCP, and the RMFM:
- Monitor, evaluate and document project performance as defined by set indicators, success criteria, targets, and milestones.
- Explore new opportunities for intervention.
- Provide technical inputs as required for policy documents which direct and guide RCP and RMFM support interventions to the EAC Secretariat.
11. Facilitate internal learning/staff development within the Mission through the exchange of ideas and information, research various opportunities, coordinate research/studies/surveys and document good practices:
- Work with national counterparts to share and document lessons learnt during the development and implementation of projects;
- Participate in training sessions and seminars, and draft relevant documentation and presentation materials whenever necessary.
12. Coordinate meetings of Steering and Technical working groups comprised of Partner States’ experts and contribute to the development of agenda and matters for consideration by the Ministerial sessions.
13. Assist in facilitating initiatives that provide conducive environments for bilateral and regional cooperation on migration.
14. Conduct capacity building training that strengthens migration governance and promotes ratification and domestication of regional, continental, and international labour migration instruments.
15. Undertake benchmarking missions to other Regional Economic Communities (RECs) with similar RCP structure for improved performance such as The Migration Dialogue for West Africa (MIDWA); The Migration Dialogue for Southern Africa (MIDSA); the RMFM.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in Labour Economics, Business Management, Economic Policy, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in EAC integration matters such as legal reforms, coordination of policy development meetings, policy development, stakeholder coordination and working with consultancies.
- Experience in labour migration management for at least 5 years at serving at managerial level or head of department at national/regional levels.
- Experience in working with the EAC Partner States’ ministries, agencies, and departments;
International organizations; regional civil society organizations and Partner States in policy making and implementation. Should be from the EAC Region and familiarity with regional cooperation would be an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, analytical skills, leadership and people management of diversity, team-building skills, planning skills, research skills, networking skills, project management and implementation skills and monitoring and evaluation skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in
- English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1. Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 October 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.10.2021 to 14.10.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 238 Technical Support Officer (RCP on Migration) (P2) Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania (57196741) Released
Posting: Posting NC57196742 (57196742) Released
Never Pay To Get A Job. Legitimate companies don’t ask for money,